Saturday, December 29, 2012

Grandpa


I was 17 going on 18 when my grandfather passed away. It was 4 days after Christmas. As I watched the paramedics take his body out of the house, I remembered that past summer when Amanda and I were doing summer missions. Grandma and Grandpa had come to Myrtle Beach to visit, and before they left, he gave me one of his bear hugs and kissed me on the forehead. He whispered, “I am so proud of you, Lissie.” I felt invincible. Every time I felt like giving up on my missions team that summer, I would replay my grandpa’s words in my head as encouragement.

This morning when I woke up, I thought, “Today is the day. It’s the 29th.” I put it off for a few hours as I did some stuff around my apartment, but then a framed photo of my grandpa and me at age four caught my eye. I sat on the floor and cried as I recalled those words that he had said to me 5 years ago. I’d forgotten. Now I am 22 going on 23, and I wonder how much more I would have been able to accomplish in the last five years if I’d only remembered those sweet encouraging words more often. Tonight, as I sit here and think about him, I am vowing to post those words in my room. Every morning as I wake up, I will read them and draw strength from them.

It makes me think about how many people have never had such empowering words spoken to them. Over the last four months that I have been in Toronto, I have encountered so many people who are searching for genuine friendships and encouragement. Have I gotten that self-centered that I don’t think that it’s a necessity anymore? Because it definitely is! My prayer is that I will not neglect to uplift those around me. I want to take on new eyes and see everyone as my loving grandfather saw his 17 year old granddaughter: tender, slightly scared, and just making it in this crazy world.

Speaking truth into people’s lives is so uncommon, but is always remembered for years to come. My grandfather’s words will live and blossom in my spirit for years to come. On this fifth anniversary of his passing, my promise is to walk in the light of his pride that he possessed for me and carry on his legacy to every person I meet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment